Which Perfumes Are Screechers For You?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

christine123

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

christine123
  • Perfumista
  • 2,552 posts

Do you know of any perfumes that you feel are shrill and screechy?

Discordant and jarring?

What are the notes that give this unfortunate effect?

I would like to know the perfumes that jangle your nerves ... like a fluorescent light drilling into your senses without relent or a lady with a shrilly-shrieky voice or a crazed car / smoke detector alarm that won't stop.

kewart

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:36 AM

kewart

kewart

• Perfumista
  • 2,767 posts

I'm sorry to say, and don't wish to upset people, but YSL Paris

is one of those on my skin.It's reminiscent of  pink-painted nails scratching a blackboard!

Maybe the original smelled better (mine is the reformulation) but I find the aldehydic sweetness

of the rose and violet to be just too much. Also, I find it to be a very "cold" perfume - no soft

edges or warmth. Please don't shoot me for being honest.....

A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.....

katy

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

katy

Perfumista 5k

• Volunteer Community Host
  • Pip
  • 5,787 posts

The apple note in a perfume often makes me feel it's a screecher.  Light Blue for example.  However, I enjoy smelling it on others.  It's only a screecher when I wear it myself. It is the equivalent on me of biting into a sour unripe green apple.

besotted

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

besotted

I smell something...

• PipPip
  • 10,655 posts
I'm afraid a number of reformulations fall into this category, Rive Gauche and Dolce Vita for example. Many white musks go screechy on me as well.
"I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

FiveoaksBouquet

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

FiveoaksBouquet

Member No 32 - Serial Monogamist

• Counselor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,844 posts
In general I have to go along with kewart on YSL Paris, although I once smelled it on a lady nearby in a theatre and on her it smelled divine (if persistent). :D

Like katy, I experience screechism with some perfumes that objectively are rather nice but on me no. I can think of three right off the bat: 24 Faubourg, Petite Chérie and Ce Soir ou Jamais. All three of these smell perfectly fine--until they get on my skin. For instance, I can put on one drop of 24 Faubourg and it will be LOUD!

Something in here smells really good...

Maltesia

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Maltesia

Perfumed onboard...

• Perfumista
  • 1,013 posts

I just had this experience last week.

The perfume in question still lingers on the sleeve of the sweater I was wearing and it is still piercingly shrill.

It was Chloe Love, Chloe Eau Florale. I can't remember the last time anything smelled as screechy as that one did.

I don't know the reason, the notes. I do know that all parts of the perfume seemed separate, they did not melt together nicely.

It smelled like washing powder straight from the box, harsh floral notes and a strangely screechy powdery aspect. 

Donna255

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Donna255

Perfumista 15k

• PipPipPip
  • 17,818 posts

Van Cleef Feerie, nice fragrance sweet but okay.  Hits my skin and sharp and awful thing happens.

Chanel Chance, not good.

No5, the famous new plastic bag thing.

DONNA

perfumada

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

perfumada
  • Perfumista
  • 2,926 posts

Fracas.  Sorry to those that love it, I am certain that it smells lovely on others, but I think that it smells loud, hysterical, and frenetic on my skin. I just can't wear it, and I have tried so many times.

It reminds me of a perfume that Blanche Du Bois from A Streetcar Named Desire would wear...thick, decaying and mentally unstable.

Úprise de flacons

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Úprise de flacons
  • Perfumista
  • 4,233 posts

Agreed about the green apple note! That DK green fragrance is the prime example.

Something similar in Poison and Alien screeches like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Sometimes white flowers. Can't think of a good example right now. Not Fracas, which I dislike, but in which I wouldn't say the flowers screech but as recline in languish and rot. They don't have the tension and slight artificiality I associate with 'screech.'

Fracas.  Sorry to those that love it, I am certain that it smells lovely on others, but I think that it smells loud, hysterical, and frenetic on my skin. I just can't wear it, and I have tried so many times.

It reminds me of a perfume that Blanche Du Bois from A Streetcar Named Desire would wear...thick, decaying and mentally unstable.

Interesting that we were posting on Fracas at the same time and that we classify it differently in relation to the term 'screech!'

winemaven

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

winemaven

Perfumista 5k

• Pip
  • 5,989 posts

My beloved Geurlain's Samsara makes me ill, headachy and want to run, run and run.

Halston I still enjoy the smell, but it makes me headachy now.

The worst offenders may not be the 'fumes so much as the dosages used..and by this I mean MANY men.  I swear they have lost their sense of smell and want to "make sure" they are scented.  BLECH!  Less is more!!

altodiva

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

altodiva

Singer, Music Teacher, Freakish Scent Junkie

• PipPipPip
  • 17,786 posts

Hmmm. Despite my well-documented loathing of Fracas, I do not find it to screech. It definitely insists upon itself, but in the way of a desperate, unattractive woman in a roomful of men who aren't interested. Once the drydown happens and the tuberose begins to amplify, I get that sense of "Look at me. Look at me. Lookit. LOOKIT. Look at me look at me look at me....WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME?" It's the olfactory equivalent of facial tattoos: desperate for attention, impossible to ignore, and just a bit tacky. But I do not find it screechy--it's very creamy, and I have difficulty reconciling creamy and screechy.

Now, Cristalle is the ultimate screeching harpy to me. Smelling it is like having knitting needles jammed directly up my nose and into my sinuses. It's so sharp and high pitched and immediate. Gaaaaaah. I genuinely do not understand how anyone can wear it all day long, although I know there are folks who do so beautifully.

I don't know what the note or collection of notes exists in Cristalle that makes me react this way, but there are a number of perfumes on the market today (most released in the last several years) that share that impression. The new Chloe is one. Juicy Couture is another. A terrible offender is the first Coach perfume--it's so screechy that it makes me think "that must be what nerve gas smells like." *shudder*

Actual exchange at NYC Beauty Brunch 2006:
altodiva:"Smell my finger."
besotted: "Okay."

Posted Image

cazaubon

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

cazaubon

Perfumista 10k

• PipPip
  • 12,485 posts

Usually for me screechy is high-pitched florals.  Stuff like Creed Love in White, Ramon Monegal's Pure Mariposa, etc.

Tara

Le parfum est une fatalité comme une autre, on n'en sort pas.

stinky2

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

stinky2

Stinky2

• Pip
  • 7,011 posts

Most of the new Bonds. Same result-screech. I agree about Paris, but I found away around that. I only use the shower gel. It's heavenly!  But, I cannot wear the fragrance.

linnea

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

linnea
  • Perfumista
  • 889 posts
I don't know what perfume it is, but there is a men's cologne with a very high-pitched synthetic musk note that I cannot abide. I encounter it on trains and buses and on the street from time to time. And Light Blue and Moschino I Love Love I also find screeching.

perfumada

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

perfumada
  • Perfumista
  • 2,926 posts

Oh, and Alien from Thierry Mugler is the ultimate screeching fragrance in my opinion! It literally screams its' arrival through my nostrils and rattles my brain into an instant headache. Relentless this one.

perfumada

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

perfumada
  • Perfumista
  • 2,926 posts

Hmmm. Despite my well-documented loathing of Fracas, I do not find it to screech. It definitely insists upon itself, but in the way of a desperate, unattractive woman in a roomful of men who aren't interested. Once the drydown happens and the tuberose begins to amplify, I get that sense of "Look at me. Look at me. Lookit. LOOKIT. Look at me look at me look at me....WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME?" It's the olfactory equivalent of facial tattoos: desperate for attention, impossible to ignore, and just a bit tacky. But I do not find it screechy--it's very creamy, and I have difficulty reconciling creamy and screechy.

Yes!

bergamot

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

bergamot

Perfumista 5k

• Perfumista 5k
  • Pip
  • 7,916 posts

I don't think I have any screechers per se: high-pitched "birdy" florals and green scents that are sharp on a lot of other people are mellower and sweeter on me. But I have "suffocating cloud" scents. The couple of times I've tried Ysatis, I've felt as if someone was sitting on my chest and crushing me. And some notes are reliably headache or nausea provokers for me. (Most of my trouble with the gourmand family has to do with my reaction to a strong vanilla note, or to a strong patchouli note in a sweet context.)

"Axiom 1: People are different from each other. It is astonishing how few respectable conceptual tools we have for dealing with this self-evident fact."

--Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, 1950-2009

dorthea

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

dorthea

Perfumista 10k

• PipPip
  • 11,193 posts

For me there are only two: Chanel Cristalle and YSL Yvresse (former Champagne). I have worn Cristalle myself, and Yvresse smells wonderful on my warm skinned daughter, but they nevertheless fall into this category.

Those Jutlanders are not into immediate feedback...

dorthea

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

dorthea

Perfumista 10k

• PipPip
  • 11,193 posts

I'm sorry to say, and don't wish to upset people, but YSL Paris

is one of those on my skin.It's reminiscent of  pink-painted nails scratching a blackboard!

Maybe the original smelled better (mine is the reformulation) but I find the aldehydic sweetness

of the rose and violet to be just too much. Also, I find it to be a very "cold" perfume - no soft

edges or warmth. Please don't shoot me for being honest.....

I completely agree that Paris is a cold perfume. I have never thought of that word in connection with it before, but it's right on spot. The cold quality of it is exactly what makes me love it, but I can see your point. :)  

Those Jutlanders are not into immediate feedback...

helg

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

helg

Lykethiophile

• PipPip
  • 10,000 posts

This is why it's so very enlightening to read perfume boards: all your impressions are interesting, valid to a degree in interpreting terms that are not clearly defined anyway, certainly stemming from personal/interpersonal experience. 

Screechy to most I suppose is something sharp with a unpleasantly chemical-seeming impression (chemical in the pop culture sense of "artificial", not the literal sense of being composed of molecules like everything in the universe is). True enough, all the perfumes you mention (apart from Paris and Fracas and probably the older versions of Cristalle) contain ambroxan and/or dihydromyrcenol, two especially pervasive and "needles"-prickly ingredients, one like rubbing alcohol woody-ambery, the other citrus-clean (they're important however for diffusion/tenacity/bypassing IFRA restrictions, hence they're featured in 85-90% of modern perfumes to varying degrees). 

In my experience -and in the industry at large- screechy does not equate loud however: I'm with Alto here. Fracas is extremely loud, even to the point of hysterical sometimes and on the right individual, but it's creamy, not screechy. Paris is also loud and yes, cold. (cold can be a good thing however!). Thick artificial vanillas and too dense patchouli in a sweet context can be suffocating but they're not screechy. Screechy is fingernails on a blackboard, as mentioned above, and those who equated it with high-pitched florals and many masculines (which are "fresh") are right on target (so many of the peony or freesia scents are screechy, have you noticed?). At least this is the best I can offer. 

@Fiveoaks,

both Petite Cherie and Ce soir ou Jamais have a pear synthetic (a note I loathe) which comes from the flavor industry and does weird things: I get mouldy, musty carpet from Petite Cherie and stale white wine from Ce soir ou Jamais. (Sometimes I got the latter in Tendre Poison too). Interesting, but thanks, no thanks. 

@Linnea,

I bet the masculine fragrance you smell everywhere is Cool Water or one of its clones (and there are many) and the culprit is not the musk, it's dihydromyrcenol which in the immortal words of mr.Burr is "like sink cleanser spilled on an aluminum counter" (smells like lemony bleach to me). Thankfully some perfumers, like Jean Claude Ellena among them, hate it with an equal passion. 

Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is;
and saw Virtue in her own shape how lovely; saw and pined his loss