• Please log in to reply

altodiva

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

altodiva

Singer, Music Teacher, Freakish Scent Junkie

• Volunteer Community Host
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,786 posts

Heaven Sent is one of the first perfumes I ever fell in love with, and one which may well have sowed the seeds of my love of powder. It was always an intense, dense dose of sexy baby powder and musk. In recent years, though, this poor perfume was most appallingly altered into something resembling nerve gas--high-pitched, cheap, and not at all powdery. As such, I have here and there acquired various vintage bottles from ebay, old drugstore stock, and yard sales, as well as a nice big bottle of LLP Infinite Grace, which is very close to the original--I have plenty of HS to last me a good long while.

Mr. Diva and I were shopping at Walgreen's just before Christmas and I saw a gift set of HS EDT and lotion, which ordinarily I would have dismissed, but I noticed that the bottle shape and the color of the juice was different.

The awful smelling bottle looks like this: nd.4592.jpg

But the bottle I saw looks like this: heaven-sent-edp4l.jpg

Note that the juice is a bit lighter than the pic, and gold. There are some images that I saw with blue juice in this bottle, which I have not seen and would not trust.

Anyway, it was only $9.99, so I figured that I would gamble. Heck, I've spent much more on lottery tickets. I hadn't had a chance to try it out until last night, but it was worth the wait--good news! It has been restored to something actually resembling old Heaven Sent. It's lighter, to be sure, in keeping with current tastes, but the overall scent is much, much closer to the perfume we know and love of old. I can still smell a pleasant powdery touch remaining on my arm this morning.

In these dark days of horrid and draconian reformulations (I know I sound dramatic), it's nice to have some good news to report!

Actual exchange at NYC Beauty Brunch 2006:
altodiva:"Smell my finger."
besotted: "Okay."

Posted Image

FiveoaksBouquet

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

FiveoaksBouquet

Member No 32 - Serial Monogamist

• Counselor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,996 posts
This is good news. As I have nostalgically mentioned here many times before, HS was the first perfume I ever bought, at age eight, as a gift for my mother. Definitely looking to give it a sniff when I come across the new version. Enjoy, dear diva!

Something in here smells really good...

CecileAmelie

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

CecileAmelie
  • Perfumista
  • 600 posts

"In these dark days of horrid and draconian reformulations..."  Diva I couldn't agree with you more.  My beloved Givenchy III, Cabochard, Miss Dior and so many others bear no resemblance in their current versions to what I so loved.

THIS is good news and thanks so much for sharing.  I can only hope that we hear more of these wonderful stories.  Making a plan to get to Walgreen's and check this out.  The pics are SO helpful.

formerly Clancurrey

besotted

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

besotted

I smell something...

• PipPip
  • 10,714 posts
Diva this is wonderful news! I loved Heaven Sent, wore it in the 7th grade. Thanks so much for including pics, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.
"I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

perfumada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

perfumada
  • Perfumista
  • 2,949 posts

Heaven Sent is one of the first perfumes I ever fell in love with, and one which may well have sowed the seeds of my love of powder. It was always an intense, dense dose of sexy baby powder and musk. In recent years, though, this poor perfume was most appallingly altered into something resembling nerve gas--high-pitched, cheap, and not at all powdery. As such, I have here and there acquired various vintage bottles from ebay, old drugstore stock, and yard sales, as well as a nice big bottle of LLP Infinite Grace, which is very close to the original--I have plenty of HS to last me a good long while.

Mr. Diva and I were shopping at Walgreen's just before Christmas and I saw a gift set of HS EDT and lotion, which ordinarily I would have dismissed, but I noticed that the bottle shape and the color of the juice was different.

The awful smelling bottle looks like this: nd.4592.jpg

But the bottle I saw looks like this: heaven-sent-edp4l.jpg

Note that the juice is a bit lighter than the pic, and gold. There are some images that I saw with blue juice in this bottle, which I have not seen and would not trust.

Anyway, it was only $9.99, so I figured that I would gamble. Heck, I've spent much more on lottery tickets. I hadn't had a chance to try it out until last night, but it was worth the wait--good news! It has been restored to something actually resembling old Heaven Sent. It's lighter, to be sure, in keeping with current tastes, but the overall scent is much, much closer to the perfume we know and love of old. I can still smell a pleasant powdery touch remaining on my arm this morning.

In these dark days of horrid and draconian reformulations (I know I sound dramatic), it's nice to have some good news to report!

I never have worn Heaven Sent, but I am a HUGE powder lover.  Do you think this most current version of Heaven Sent is comparable to the LLP Infinite Grace version?  I think that I need to try this perfume and was wondering which formulation (LLP or newer Heaven Sent bottle) was closer to the original.

adonna

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

adonna
  • Perfumista
  • 1,911 posts

This was my scent as a child.

I was devastated at the swill that was being passed off as HS.

Thank You AltoDiva for letting us know the good news.

I will be getting some.

A~~

Dancing is silent poetry."
- Simonides (556-468bc)

estrajean

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

estrajean

Perfumista 5k

• Pip
  • 7,660 posts

Good news and well worth the price, too.  I wore Heaven Scent and then moved on to Avon fragrances but when I found L'Air du Temps the world changed.  How I long to have some vintage of that fragrance.

A women who doesn't wear perfume has no future.
Coco Chanel

CandyPerfumeGirl

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

CandyPerfumeGirl
  • Perfumista
  • 880 posts

Terrific news! I'll keep an eye out, as I loved this as well.

Lavender Blue

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Lavender Blue
  • Perfumista
  • 3,084 posts

I had the newer bottle in the blue juice version - it was only o.k.

I will keep an eye out for the gold juice.

Thanks for posting, altodiva!

Remember to appreciate all the little things in life, you don't want to miss something special!

altodiva

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

altodiva

Singer, Music Teacher, Freakish Scent Junkie

• PipPipPip
  • 17,786 posts

I never have worn Heaven Sent, but I am a HUGE powder lover.  Do you think this most current version of Heaven Sent is comparable to the LLP Infinite Grace version?  I think that I need to try this perfume and was wondering which formulation (LLP or newer Heaven Sent bottle) was closer to the original.

I find the LLP much closer to the original than this new one. The LLP is very nearly identical to my nose. To me, the new formulation is sort of an "updated for modern tastes" version of the classic. It is definitely a sister to the original, not an identical twin. Very pretty when taken on its own merits--and especially when compared with the blue swill that's been sold for the last few years. :angry2:

Actual exchange at NYC Beauty Brunch 2006:
altodiva:"Smell my finger."
besotted: "Okay."

Posted Image

Dianne

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Dianne
  • Regular
  • 285 posts

Oh! I must run down to the drugstore and try this. I miss the old Heaven Sent. However, I will not hold my breath until I turn as blue as the previous reformulation. "Updated for modern tastes" ? That statement right there, chills my blood.